Paying for Care

If you intend to pay for your care yourself, without any State support at all, then read no further and simply contact us now. We will begin the process of giving you the package you need.

If however you do want State funding we can work together to get you assessed by Social Services to see how much the State will help with fees. If you qualify you are likely to be allocated a Personal Budget which can be paid in the form of Direct Payments, Individual Service Funds (ISFs), or Individual Budgets. These things are largely the same but all mean that YOU receive the ability to say how they are paid and to whom. This means YOU get the choice of care provider.

There are benefits available which are not means tested, and you may be entitled to receive these.

Social Care Payments – Not means tested
This is a benefit which is assessed entirely on your age, and ability to perform Activities of Daily Living.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – This can be claimed if you are under 65, have a physical or mental disability, or both, and need support.

Attendance Allowance (AA) – You may be eligible for this if you are 65 and over, and need help with personal care.

AbiCare has considerable experience in working with individual budgets, direct payments and individual service funds and we will give you as much help as you need to get the funding you want.

Funding for care is full of terms which may be new to you, so here are some explanations:

What is a Personal Budget?

Once the local authority has assessed you as requiring care they will determine how much they are prepared to pay for it on your behalf. This sum is then allocated to you and it is this money which is thereafter known as your Personal Budget. Your PB can either be spent for you by the local authority, when they provide the actual care (or select a provider) or it can be paid to you as a Direct Payment of cash, in which case YOU will have the choice to select the provider and spend the money, or it can be handed to the care provider who will provide the care. In either case YOU tell the authority what you want.

If you take the payment as Direct Payments you must satisfy the authority that it will be spent wisely. This means you have to provide a Care Plan: but this is something AbiCare would do with you anyway, so it’s going to be part of your package!

If you choose to have the fees paid directly to AbiCare as your care provider then your Individual Budget is known as an Individual Service Fund. You would take this route if you felt that you could not, or did not want to, look after the IB yourself. The only question about this route is whether you trust us not to run off with your money! (For the record, we won’t!). Once we control your ISF we still develop a care plan for you and you still retain the right to change how the money is spent: however you get the state to pay for your care, YOU call the shots.

So, in summary:

A Personal Budget is the amount the Local Authority will spend on you but they keep the cash.

A Personal Budget can be transferred to your bank account as a Direct Payment.

An Individual Service Fund is where the authority gives the money on your behalf to a care provider that either you or the state have chosen.

More information about care funding is available from an organisation called Paying for Care.