Paying for Services

If you intend to pay for your care yourself, you may still be entitled to Attendance Allowance and receive some assistance from State funding. Contact us and we will be able to advise on what is available depending on your circumstances. If you are applying for State funding we can work together to get your local Social Services to complete a financial assessment, as well as a care needs assessment and see how much the State will help with fees. If you qualify, your social worker will either broker the care to AbiCare and this is funded by the social services directly or alternatively you will be allocated a Personal Budget. This can be paid in the form of Direct Payments, Individual Service Funds (ISFs), or Individual Budgets. These things are largely the same but all mean that YOU receive the ability to choose your provider and the service you need.

There are benefits available which are not means tested, and you may be entitled to receive these.

Social Care Payments – not means tested.
This is a benefit which is assessed entirely on your age, and ability to perform Activities of Daily Living.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – this can be claimed if you are under 65, have a physical or mental disability, or both, and need support.

Attendance Allowance (AA) – You may be eligible for this if you are 65 and over, and need help with personal care. This is not means tested and there are two levels of support.

AbiCare has considerable experience in working with individual budgets, direct payments and individual service funds and we will give you as much help as you need to get the funding you want.

Funding for care is full of terms which may be new to you, so here are some explanations:

What is a Personal Budget?

Once the local authority/ Social Services has assessed you as requiring care they will complete a financial assessment to determine whether you are eligible for financial assistance. For those individuals who are, a sum is then allocated to you and it is this money which is thereafter known as your Personal Budget. Your PB can either be spent for you by the local authority, when they provide the actual care (or select a provider) or it can be paid to you as a Direct Payment of cash, in which case YOU will have the choice to select the provider and spend the money, or it can be handed to the care provider of your choice on your behalf and they will be contracted to provide the care. In either case YOU tell the authority what you want.

If you take the payment as Direct Payments you must satisfy the authority that it will be spent wisely. This means you have to provide evidence of some sort to demonstrate what is being purchased: this is something AbiCare would do with you anyway, as it is part of your ongoing package!

If you choose to have the fees paid directly to AbiCare as your care provider then your Individual Budget is known as an Individual Service Fund. You would take this route if you felt that you could not, or did not want to, look after the IB yourself. In this case we develop a care plan for you detailing the costs and you still retain the right to change how the money is spent.

So, in summary:

  • A Personal Budget is the amount the Local Authority allocates for your care package.
  • A Personal Budget can be transferred to your bank account as a Direct Payment.
  • An Individual Service Fund is where the authority gives the money on your behalf to a care provider that either you or the state have chosen.

More information about care funding is available from an organisation called Paying for Care.